Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mexican Chicken Casserole

I have to share this recipe with y'all!  I made it on Monday night and it was really good.  If you like green chiles you will love it.  And (Erin), it's gluten free!

So I was making Cooking Light's Mexican Chicken casserole which I have seen on like 10 people's pinterest pages.  It looked good.

But when I started making it I realized I had forgotten to get 2 cans of green chiles which is the most important ingredient so I had to substitute it with 1 cup of "green" salsa (aka salsa verde).  It didn't say if it was some green chile sauce or tomatillo salsa and on the ingredients list both were listed.  I opened the jar and it smelled like green chiles so I went with it.  I totally changed up the recipe from the cooking light version and by some freak twist of nature, it actually worked out and was awesome.  It's so easy there's no reason to do a blog post on it.  Here's the recipe:

1 cup chicken broth
1 cup salsa verde (your favorite kind)
1 pound chicken breast, cooked, cubed
1 cup chopped onion
1 block cream or Neufchatel cheese (I used Neufchatel)
12 (small) corn tortillas
2 cups Monterrey Jack or cheddar or Mexican blend cheese (I used the blend)
cooking spray
handful of tortilla chips, crushed (optional)

Cook your chicken however you'd like.  I wanted to grill mine but ran out of time.  I did season it with the same seasoning as I used on my quesadillas but I baked it in the oven.

Preheat oven to 375.  Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Spray with cooking spray.  Add onion, saute a few minutes, until soft.  Add salsa and chicken broth.  Let it heat up.  Add cream cheese.  Break the cream cheese apart as best you can.  You could use an immersion blender.  Once it's broken down pretty well, add chicken and cook 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.

Spray a 2 quart baking dish (Pyrex) with cooking spray.  Place 4 tortillas in the bottom.  Spoon 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.  Top with 1/3 of your cheese.  Repeat layers twice.  Sprinkle crushed chips on top.  Bake for 25-30 minutes (uncovered) or until cheese is bubbly on top.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

This is a bad picture after I'd taken a piece out but I swear, it was good.

1 comment: